Thursday, March 6, 2008

Thursday's show

I had a really good feeling Wednesday night. It was after our "added" performance at The Starline. The audience was half-full, the venue was four times as large, and (while I felt good about my performance for the first time) Josh felt he and his fellow Shakespeare actors were loose.

With all that going against it, we still had a great reception from the audience. At each turn when I felt we were going to lose the energy into the ether (after all, the bar is built for bands, not an intimate play set it a classroom), our "students" were right there. While Sam says they laughed in "weird places," I think it was a testiment to the amount of overall humor in the play that they were laughing at all.

Which brings us to tonight's show. I predicted it would be our best one yet, and if we couldn't already tell from the coninuous laughter and half-standing ovation, our venue manager Robert Paul confirmed it.

Tonight was the reason I wanted to do a Rogue show. Despite a little cracking up from one of the performers midway through the Scottish sketch, we hit on all the proverbial cylinders and, well, we basically kicked ass.

I hope we have a sellout Saturday at 7. There'll be some surprises, maybe an alternate ending or two.

After all, if you think you've seen "Shakespeare Is an Idiot," you haven't seen it on closing night.

No comments: